Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Death of a Businessman

It was fall 2006. I started school as a business major and a first time freshman. I'd been out the the game for a while, but wanted the college experience. I knew I'd never be able to discover what it was like if I didn't try it for myself, and it has been one of the best decisions of my life.

I auditioned for the Symphony because it had been 7 years since I'd played in high school and I actually missed playing with an orchestra. It only snowballed from there. More music classes, more opportunities to play. More skills built, scholarships awarded and now I'm graduating with a music degree. Cello/vocal performance and choral conducting. I'm the principal cellist in the Chamber Orchestra, student conductor in the Chamber Choir, member of the honors vocal double quartet, and a participant in many other projects and performing groups.

It's not bragging, it's just an insight. I've been incredibly blessed to be able to study what I love and earn a living too. (I absolutely love my job which, has almost nothing to do with my studies.)

What a time I've had. I studied this last year for the LSAT. I did well in my studies, but was guided to music yet again. Funny how that works...

Not performing or teaching anymore would be like death. Music is an inextricable part of my life now... Who knew?

Anyway... Masters in cello is coming up soon; I can't wait.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Good luck... sometimes we have things that need to be a part of our lives. For me it's sports, but music will always have a treasured place in my heart.