Sunday, November 15, 2009

Perfect



Mistakes...

Every once in a while a series of amateur mistakes nearly kills an entire performance. So it was on Saturday evening.

The Synergy Dance Company was putting on a production, and I was the cellist-a very important part. I don't add this to brag, I simply wish to reinforce the fact that a cello in a large ensemble with only one cello is not something to be taken lightly when a three-night run of a production is concerned...

Self-forgiveness for less-than-perfect performance is something that comes rather easily to me now, but for some strange reason, this one has been a little difficult.

Perhaps the unexpected check (six times what I was expecting) has left me feeling guilty for a less than stellar performance.

Perhaps my not properly preparing for that night is what "keeps me up at night."

Oh well... time to focus this energy into a strategy that will keep this from happening again.

These things remind me not to be too hard on myself:

- Henry Ford forgot to put a reverse gear on his first automobile.

- Albert Einstein’s parents were told he might be mentally retarded.

- Michael Jordan was cut from his high school basketball team.

and of course...

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one."

Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

No comments: