Saturday, April 03, 2010

Expert Ignorance




A family friend offered me a note with several numbers on it. They belong to some string players; he thought I would be interested in playing music with them.

This sort of thing has happened before, and more often than not, they haven't been superb players. I truly enjoy making music and having fun with different players from all walks of life, but sometimes I feel as if I'm in a spelling bee with first graders. (I've been on the first-grade side quite a few times myself.)

An elitist? Not at all. I rehearse and perform for hours each day with so many talented musicians, and I've been privileged to do so. I think sometimes people don't understand what I do for this major, for this profession, and for this love of music.

I wonder if I flaunt as much ignorance when I offer an opinion on an English major's composition as they would offering editorial advice for my orchestral scores.

Probably... any judgment would be well deserved

I suppose I'll keep my opinions to myself.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Some people have gifts when it comes to being able to tell the quality of something. You may not be an English or music major, but you may still be able to know whether or not something is good.

but yes, aren't we all ignorant?

Jan said...

Compared to the knowledge of God, we are all infants.